7 Reasons to Use a Realtor to Sell Your Home
Homeowners obviously know their homes better than anyone - but that doesn’t mean they’re the best salespersons for their homes or properties.
Some home sellers are tempted to try a For Sale by Owner (FSBO) transaction because their local community may be in the midst of a home ‘sellers’ market and they believe they can sell easily by themselves without any help. Most others try the FSBO route because they believe they will maximize their net profits by avoiding to pay a commission to a Realtor.
However, statistics year after year show that selling your home with the assistance of a professional real estate agent will get you a higher net profit, more than enough to cover the commission as well as put more money in your pocket.
Why Sell With a Realtor
Choosing to sell with a professional rather than on your own makes sense for a variety of reasons:
- A Realtor has access to market data about recent sales and other homes on the market that can be used to price your home appropriately. Studies show that homes priced right when they’re first listed sell more quickly and for a higher price than those that linger on the market.
- A Realtor can show your home when you aren’t available, can respond to inquiries from potential buyers and their agents, and can get valuable feedback from visitors – all things that save you time.
- A Realtor can look at your home objectively and suggest ways to improve its appearance – by staging and minor repairs – so it appeals to more buyers.
- Buyers typically prefer to look at a home without the seller present so they can feel more comfortable exploring the rooms and visualizing themselves in the property. At an FSBO sale, the seller must be present.
- A Realtor can screen visitors to your home, which provides a measure of safety that FSBO sellers don’t have. In addition, by checking to see if the buyers are legitimate and can afford to purchase your home, a Realtor can help you avoid wasting time showing your home to unrealistic buyers.
- Realtors have professional marketing expertise, contacts with other Realtors who work with buyers, and the support of a brokerage that can market your home more widely than you can as an individual.
- A Realtor can help you negotiate a contract that not only garners you an appropriate price for your home, but that meets your needs for a settlement date and perhaps includes a period when you rent back your home from your buyer. In addition, a Realtor can make sure your contract is in compliance with all local regulations.
Selling FSBO Dangers
Most home buyers today chose to work with a ‘buyers’ agent to represent their interests. To say it another way, the agents have the majority of the serious, active, preapproved home buyers.
If you choose to sell your home on your own, you’ll be negotiating against a professional and relying on your own skill to finalize the contract.
Not only could you end up selling your home for less money, you could be leaving yourself open to potential legal problems should anything go wrong.
FSBO transactions can be successful, of course, but over 92 percent of homeowners prefer to work with a trained professional rather than risk an unsatisfactory/unsuccessful home selling experience.