How to Sell Your House Check List
- Prepare your home for sale: decluttering, or perhaps giving your walls a fresh coat of paint.
- Analyze your market: is it a buyer’s or seller’s market? What are comparable homes in your area selling for?
- Determine whether you need a real estate agent or will list for sale by owner: some sellers start out listing their home for sale by owner and then use an agent if they’re unsuccessful. This way can cost you time and money.
- Set a competitive price: determine what you’ll net from the sale, accounting for marketing, closing costs and brokerage fees. But don’t overprice your property. The longer your house stays on the market, the less you’ll get.
- Market your property: quality photos to compelling descriptions, you want your home to make a great impression.
- Get ready to negotiate: where real estate agents really add value: negotiating with prospective buyers. A tough negotiator can make thousands-of-dollars difference.
- Prepare for the loan closing: contingencies to deal with, as well as repairs identified by the home inspection.
- Plan your move: box up your belongings and relocate.